Welcome

Username:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

Chatbox

You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

nani: 28 Sep : 04:31 AM

plz pleasec tell me where to do phd in india

Nikhilphysio: 02 Jun : 03:55 AM

I am working as physiotherapist in Shalby hospital ahmedabad for 4 years. I have passed out from Rajiv gandhi university of health and sciences Bangalore. I want to apply for Newzealand physiotherapy board registration so anyone there from India who got registered as physiotherapist in new zealand please help me.

Arun: 10 May : 12:36 AM

Hi Priyank, welcome. Feel free to go through these forum threads returned by search [link]

Priyank: 09 May : 10:28 PM

Hi..need advice. What are the options in Australia after MPT?

Arun: 04 Mar : 02:01 AM

Happy birthday Boopathi and somasimple

Forums

Physioblasts.Org - India's collaborative physiotherapy community & free learning portal :: Forums :: General Forum :: Comments and Suggestions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>

POLL DISCUSSION: 'The sensorimotor approach in rehabilitation'

Moderators: Arun, Boopathi, Robin, Diana, AJIN, MDK-Physio
Author Post
Thu Jun 28 2012, 08:59PM
Robin
Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Registered Member #4

Poll question: The sensorimotor approach in rehabilitation:

• 15% voted for Brunnstrom model (9 votes)
  • 65% voted for Rood's model (39 votes)
  • 10% voted for Sherington's model (6 votes)
  • 10% voted for Bobath's model (6 votes)
Right answer is Rood's model.

The sherrington's and Bobath's approach has a sensory component as much as Rood's approach does, but still Rood's approach had been widely regarded as the Sensorymotor approach in rehabilitation therapy. The Brunnstrom Approach, developed by the Swedish physical therapist Signe Brunnstrom, emphasises the synergic pattern of movement which develops during recovery from hemiplegia. This approach encourages development of flexor and extensor synergies during early recovery, with the intention that synergic activation of muscles will, with training, transition into voluntary activation of movements.

Rood's approach developed my Margaret Rood in the 1950's, suggested four components of motor control:

• Reciprocal inhibition, an early motor pattern developed as a protective mechanism, is a quick motion that contracts the agonist muscles and relaxes the antagonistic muscles.
• Co-contraction provides stability to the body by contracting both the agonists and antagonists.
• In heavy work, the third component, the distal portion of the body provides stability, and the proximal portion provides mobility.
• Finally, skill is the highest level of motor control and allows the distal portion of the body to be mobile while the proximal portion serves as stability.

This line of thinking has been beneficial to other motor control treatment approaches that are applied today (Pedretti & Early, 2001). Like PNF, the Rood Approach focuses on developmental sequence in treatment and the understanding that flexion and extension patterns will affect each other. Rood believed that motor control could be inhibited or facilitated by positioning children into ontogenetic patterns of development. While in these patterns, it was most effective to have patients participating in functional activities that had meaning to them. Through repetition and in a real-life context, they could achieve occupational functioning. (Metcalfe & Lawes, 1998).

According to Pedretti and Early (2001) and Metcalf and Lawes (1998), Rood's approaches are not commonly used in practice. However, elements of her work are important to study because they could have therapeutic use, and she gives a good understanding of motor control and developmental sequence. These authors found little information as to the efficacy of Rood's approach through an exhaustive literature review. Although her work is of interest, it is not as widely accepted as NDT or PNF.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF