Welcome

Username:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

Chatbox

You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

nani: 28 Sep : 04:31 AM

plz pleasec tell me where to do phd in india

Nikhilphysio: 02 Jun : 03:55 AM

I am working as physiotherapist in Shalby hospital ahmedabad for 4 years. I have passed out from Rajiv gandhi university of health and sciences Bangalore. I want to apply for Newzealand physiotherapy board registration so anyone there from India who got registered as physiotherapist in new zealand please help me.

Arun: 10 May : 12:36 AM

Hi Priyank, welcome. Feel free to go through these forum threads returned by search [link]

Priyank: 09 May : 10:28 PM

Hi..need advice. What are the options in Australia after MPT?

Arun: 04 Mar : 02:01 AM

Happy birthday Boopathi and somasimple

Forums

Go to page  [1] 2
Moderators: Arun, Boopathi, Robin, Diana, AJIN, MDK-Physio
Author Post
Mon Sep 26 2011, 10:24AM
jags
Registered Member #3172
hI ALL...got a Q
i am in a big dilemma whether to go to canada or usa???
i already have finished cred eval for NY...but bcoz of mixed responses reg. job availabilty in USA and the difficulty level of npte after revision of rules the picture is very much obscure!!!!!!
i have done my home work on canada and i m kind of dejected from the responses on various forums about the job situation in canada....
i need a frank opinion about The current scenario!!!!
personally...i wanted to go to NY for the license exam till last yr...
could ANYONE please shed some light on the situation???
90% I AM ZEROING ON NY OpTION ....SO please TELL ME HOW TO GO ABOuT GETTING A JOB IN NY ....
ANY THING ELSE ANYBODY WANTS TO SHARE; WOuLD BE GRATEFULLY ACCEpTED..
THANKS ALOT

Mon Sep 26 2011, 06:52PM
Robin
Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Registered Member #4

Jags, I am not sure about the existing conditions u have described about NY or Canada since i havent come across any such news. I do not think the recession has pretty much affected healthcare as such as other jobs. If you are filing for H1b thru a recruiter, then i guess u need not worry much if they are ready to file for you because most of them have some job opening or the other ready in hand; chances of gettin an H1b visa these days are pretty much high than before.
Pls do post details such as the type of visa u r looking for, year of graduation, level of education. NPTE exam havent been made tough for someone in particular, it is the same exam applicable to all candidates taking it and unless the FSBPT has raised the cut off mark( which i havent heard so), it is going to be more or less the same. The NPTE tests for minimum educational knowledge needed for one to practice and is not looking for the best PT to practice. So, the test mostly depends on each one's preparation and knowledge about the topics covered for the test.
I have a feeling that visa processing for jobs have slowed down a bit for Canada, but not sure whether it is exactly because of the lack of opportunities there or due to some technical issues.
If you have got ready with paperworks for NY and somebody is ready to file for u, then u should go ahead before it gets really hard. If u r thru a recruiter, they will be the one looking out for a job for u and spending money for u, u need not be too worried about that. If u u'rself is trying that part, then u need to make sure that u have a job ready or someone will file for u.
By the way, I read recently that NY has almost 14,000 PT s while NJ has only arund 6000. We should not inversely relate the numbers directly to opportunities that could still be open there as the population and health establishments in more in NY, so opportunities too would be more.
I feel anyone can understand that this is just my thoughts on the issue, and will not take it to be final word...( I wish i was the NY Mayor ...he he..)

Tue Sep 27 2011, 09:45AM
jags
Registered Member #3172

thanks mate.....too informative...
need some more answers!!!!!!!!!!
first of all, d things u asked for --

YEAR OF EDUCATION- finished grad 2004;finished masters 2008(Mumbai univ);

LEVEL OF EDuCATION- masters (musculoskeletal)

TYPE OF VISA - i guess u need to guide me on this...(i am just finished with d cred eval for ny state...that's all....not much idea about visa!!!

i want to take nPte in jan or march 2012....so tell me when should i file for visa? what kind of visa?? some advised me tourist some business ???

secondly- about work visa--- u said recruiters can file h1b for me....this must be after nPte...right??

-what do u mean by ;trying by myself?? u mean finding an employer??

i want to know these visa things so that i can Prepare accordingly...

i guess ;u can advice me better on this-Filing thru employer or recruiter ?? and how to go about these things-i mean finding recruiter or employer???

SOME MORE QUESTIONS-

WHAT DO YO MEAN BY PAPERWORK FOR NY??(WHAT ALL THINGS I NEED TO KEEP READY??)

DO U NEED TO APPLY FOR VISA SCREEN CERTIFICATE BEFORE TAKING NPTE??OR IS IT BETTER APPLING AFTER CLEARING NPTE??

THINGS I SHOULD NOT MISS IN PREPARATION....WHICH BOOK/S R D BEST FOR PREP??

JUST WAITING FOR uR RESPONSE..SO THAT I CAN START WITH D PREP AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE...

i believe in ur thoughts

THANKS A LOT

Wed Sep 28 2011, 08:29PM
Robin

Registered Member #4

Jags, Since you are trying for a work in teh US, u'll need a work visa or called the H1b visa. There is a certain limit on the number of visas available each year( called the capped visas since there is few H1b visas which is not included in thsi limit and are called the 'cap exempt visas). Total number of visas open is around 95,000 out which 35,000 is kept aside for those applicants who have had a Masters or higher education in the US. And to get an H1b visa, someone has to file for the visa for you, usually a recruiter or an employer(the latter is a difficult option). The applications filed on your behalf are received during march -april period every year to be considered for the H1b lottery(now a days not many applications for the H1b visas, so it does not have to be called a lottery anymore). That means one will have to be ready with the application before march to apply fr an H1b visa that year itself.

For a healthcare worker like us to have an H1b, we need 'visa screening certificate' which takes approximately 2-4 months to be processed and received. you can check this discussion get some details on it : [link] For visa screening one needs to have Toefl scores as well as certificates being evaluated by them. Since CGFNS does both the visa screening and credential evaluation together, it would be wise to go with them.
If doing seperately, one needs credential evaluation to be done for the state where one intends to practice; each state PT Board has approved certain agencies to do the credential evaluation for the board, so one needs to find those agencies and apply with them if not going for CGFNS screening. One can find the state PT board links here : [link] .
With the credential evaluation and visa screening done, one needs to apply to the FSBPT and the state board to get a PT license. The state after approving your application and requirements, will send a notification to FSBPT who sends you an ATT( authorisation to test) which is used to schedule NPTE exam with prometric center.
In the mean time one needs to find an employer or recruiter to file for you, and most of them might reimburse the expenses. One also needs to be careful about the contracts with them. Most of them takes u to the US only after u get an H1b, and help u in taking hte NPTE, and gets things ready and smooth after passing the NPTE. If one fails, some of them might allow u to wait and retake the test while others might ask u to go back to India and prepare and come back. Check this forum discussion we had sometime back: http://www.physioblasts.org/p/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?3392.post
Finding a recruiter wil be easy, but comes with the disadvantages like the pay as well as the contract duration. Adavantages are that they are very easy to find and an easy way to geta job here in teh US. Finding an employer to file an H1b is very hard, no to consider without having an PT license in hand. There are many recruiters who does a nice job and can easily find them on the forusm here as well as by a search on internet.
Since u have a MAsters, u might be abel to expand your job market by getting few more extra general credits while being in India. U can find info about it on the forusm here, use the search tab on the top of the page and use key words 'general credits' to find links about it.
Hope this helps u a bit, share with us what u find new in the process so that we too can be kept updated.

[ Edited Wed Feb 08 2012, 02:04PM ]

Sat Oct 01 2011, 12:00PM
jags
Registered Member #3172

thanx robin

now i'm quite clear about the whole process....

few things u forgot to mention???

-what visa shud i apply for takin NPTE??some suggested me tourist & some bussiness???ur take???

-u mentioned i shud be doin general credits??what i learnt from other forums...if u r MPT & doin visa screen from cgfns...u may not need extra gen credits???ur take

-if i decide to take npte on march 2012....any issue may occur with h1b visa filing??i mean u said the application should be ready by march!!!becoz takin npte in jan 2012 would be too early....preparation toefl/npte/filin for visa screen would take some time...right???any advice???/

-lastly ur advice on NPTE preparation????

thankin u again...

Sat Oct 01 2011, 05:35PM
Robin

Registered Member #4

Was my last reply bit confusing? could be, since i think i  tried to finish it in little time, sorry abut that.
jags wrote ...
 -what visa shud i apply for takin NPTE??some suggested me tourist & some bussiness???ur take???  

If one is trying to get to teh US himself, then he might have to find a tourist/visitor visa to get here in the US and sit for the NPTE. I would say it is a hard bet, and i think ( again my thoughts only) gettin a visitors visa to sit for NPTE wil be very hard, maybe the odds could be 1:9 favouring not getting one. If one is applying thru the recruiter for an H1b, then u can get a chance to sit for NPTE if u get the H1b visa. When i did try for an H1b 5-8 yrs back, the recruiters mostly said that they would get us here to sit for NPTE on H1b, and incase we did not get thru it in one sitting, then they will take us back to India and give some prep time. Whne we r ready, we need to buy a ticket to come to the US again( they would not reimburse that money) to sit for NPTE ( we will still be having the H1b visa). By the way NPTE is not a prerequisite to get H1b visa, but ATT is(Authorisation To Test-given by the state PT Boards).
jags wrote ...
-u mentioned i shud be doin general credits??what i learnt from other forums...if u r MPT & doin visa screen from cgfns...u may not need extra gen credits???ur take 
General credits  i mentioned in the last post is not related to 'Visa screening' certification. For visa screening they look mostly for the years of education one has after post secondary or as college level education. They need one to have a minimum of 4 year education after predegree or 12th grade, and a Master level education for those who have graduated after 2009*(i'm not pretty clear on this issue since, there are state Boards which does accept Bachelor level education if graduated prior to certain year). General credits are required if one needs to look for oppurtunities beyond NY. and i wasnt mentioning about it related to visa screening.
jags wrote ...
-if i decide to take npte on march 2012....any issue may occur with h1b visa filing??i mean u said the application should be ready by march!!!becoz takin npte in jan 2012 would be too early....preparation toefl/npte/filin for visa screen would take some time...right???any advice???/ 
Since u already have the credential evaluation part done, u need visa screening, TOEFL scores, State PT board  registration,  FSBPT registration for NPTE and ATT to apply for an H1b, and this process will not help u to sit for March 2012 NPTE. BUT, if you are planning to take the NPTE test yourself by means of trying for a visitor visa, then u need not have visa screening for that (though u still need it for H1b visa when u apply for it). State PT Boards needs credential evaluation certificate, Toefl scores and Jurisprudence exam( an online exam concerning rules/regulations related to practice in each state) and registration with FSBPT, to issue a notification to the FSBPT which then issues an ATT with which u can register for NPTE with prometric center. And once approved and registered to sit for the exam, one can try for visitors visa. This process shoud help you sit for NPTE in March 2012. The toughest part in this process would be getting a visitors visa.
jags wrote ...
-lastly ur advice on NPTE preparation????
Prepare well with the basics, use Sullivan's NPTE prep guide, Score builders NPTE guide by Scott Giles etc would be good enough. They test for your knowledge to see whether u have enough knowledge to practice PT, and are not looking for the best of PTs. So, if u prepare well and have enough knowledge, then it shoudl be fine, confidence is key! Thye mostly test your application of knowledge, not on the direct basic questions, it is mostly about 'Clinical application'. You shoudl be able to find those books on ebay and get it delivered at your door step. There are even online websites which provide u with tutoring, but comes with a price which one might want to consider as an investment towards the license.
Jags, there are quite lot of info on the forums here for those who like to try for a job outside our country. Make sure that you pass the info to those other colleagues who might be looking for the same, as well as share with us what we do not know about the same.

[ Edited Wed Feb 08 2012, 02:06PM ]

Mon Oct 03 2011, 09:42AM
jags
Registered Member #3172

thanks a lot ...captain robin!!!!!!

going ahead with the process as per yor advice......

really grateful to u for valuable information...

Mon Oct 03 2011, 03:43PM
Robin

Registered Member #4

jags wrote ...
going ahead with the process as per yor advice......  
Hope you r not putting me in a fix here by sayin that..he he...!
jags wrote ...
thanks a lot ...captain robin!!!!!!
Thnks should go to the members here with whose help i had been able to source these informations and this platform for helping us ot help fellow PTs. Hope u let us too know what is different or new from what we have discussed here. Hope u have things working out as per your plans..good luck Jags, we r pleased to have u here.

Tue Oct 04 2011, 10:19AM
jags
Registered Member #3172

hey ...not at all.........i am not puttin u in a fix.....i mean the amount of info i got here from u was really helpful to put me in a right direction......and i'm definately crosscheckin before each and every step........as usual i got one more question for u!!!!!

im checkin other forums for visa related issues...

and comin across news that lot of tourist visas are rejected...applied by npte aspirants.....

so people r sayin that there r consultancies which apply for h1b(temporary work permit) for a candidate ,and this is all before npte....

so u have any idea about these consultancies who sponsor the h1b visas before npte???any good consultancies u aware of ??if any please give details???

thanx a lot...............

Tue Oct 04 2011, 03:27PM
Robin

Registered Member #4

Jags, there is no temp work permit. As mentioned previously, NPTE pass / a US PT License is not a prerequisite for an H1b (work visa); If u have an ATT ( authorisation to test from  FSBPT and a state PT Board registration, the embassy might issue u an H1b if all other things fall right into place. Those rules does not change with any consultancies. And again, getting a tourist visa for NPTE is one of the hardest thing. That is why i mentioned that in the earlier post specifically that it is the hard part of your trying to get thru with NPTE all by yourself and later looking for a job. I havent been tracking any consultancies for past 4-5 yrs, but u can search using the search option on top of the page here using keyword 'USA job'. Otherwise u might have to google it and compare all the recruiting agencies and their services, i'm sure there r lot of them.

[ Edited Wed Feb 08 2012, 02:07PM ]

Go to page  [1] 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF