Welcome

Username:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

Chatbox

You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

physicaltherapy: 05 Feb : 06:54 pm

Is there anyone who has gone through CWT6 or type 1 evaluation with FCCPT?
If so, kindly let me know from where can the following deficiencies be fulfilled?
1. History
2. Systems Review
3. Findings that warrant referral
4. Supervision of support staff
5. Documentation

nani: 28 Sep : 04:31 am

plz pleasec tell me where to do phd in india

Nikhilphysio: 02 Jun : 03:55 am

I am working as physiotherapist in Shalby hospital ahmedabad for 4 years. I have passed out from Rajiv gandhi university of health and sciences Bangalore. I want to apply for Newzealand physiotherapy board registration so anyone there from India who got registered as physiotherapist in new zealand please help me.

Arun: 10 May : 12:36 am

Hi Priyank, welcome. Feel free to go through these forum threads returned by search [link]

Priyank: 09 May : 10:28 pm

Hi..need advice. What are the options in Australia after MPT?

Forums

Physioblasts.Org - India's collaborative physiotherapy community & free learning portal :: Forums :: Practice Forum :: Investigation Tools

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>

SPECIAL PHYSICAL ASSESSMENT TESTS (part 3 - Elbow)

Moderators: Arun, Boopathi, Robin, baskar, AJIN, MDK-Physio
Author Post
Wed Mar 30 2011, 05:21pm
Robin
Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Registered Member #4
Hello gys n gls,
I'm gathering elbow related assessment tests. Pls do share the physical assesment tests you know related to elbow, let me note down the best i can gather; the last time i did for the shoulder related tests, there were numerous ones which were new to me. I am sure that there will be many tests related to the elbow too which will be new to me. I also hope you too will be able to chip in with tests you know.
COZEN TEST:
Patient position : Sitting
PT position : At the side of the elbow to be assessed
Test : Examiner flexes the elbow of the patient to 90 degree and stabilizes it with one hand,places thumb of the other hand over th elateral epicondyl. Patient is then asked to make a fist, pronate forearm, radially deviate and extend the wrist all against the examiner's resistance
Sign/Interpretation : Sudden severe pain in the lateral epicondyle region indicates lateral epicondylitis or commonly termed as 'Tennis elbow'.

[ Edited Wed Mar 30 2011, 05:23pm ]

Thu Mar 31 2011, 05:39am
Robin

Registered Member #4

TENNIS ELBOW TEST:

Patient position : Sitting or standing
PT position : Anterolateral to the side to be assessed
Test : Examiner flexes the patient's elbow ot 90 degree and stabilizes it while thumb of the other hand is placed over the lateral epicondyle, patient is then instructed to extend the wrist while examiner resists the movement
Sign/Interpretation : Pain produced on the lateral epicondyle indicates lateral epicondylitis.

Sun Apr 03 2011, 07:01am
Robin

Registered Member #4

LIGAMENTOUS STABILITY TEST:

PT position : At the side of elbow to be assessed
Test : Examiner holds patient's elbow posteriorly with one hand and holds the wrist with the other hand; patient is instructed to flex the elbow few degrees while examiner applies a lateral force on forearm producing a valgus stress on elbow joint on the medial side. The test is repeated to produce a varuss stress on the lateral side of the joint
Sign/Interpretation : A gap produced on the medial side during the valgus stress indicates medial collateral ligament instability and a gap on the lateral side during the varus stress indicates lateral collateral instability.[ The test to be performed bilaterally to compare joint normal range ]

Mon Apr 04 2011, 02:04pm
Robin

Registered Member #4

GOLFER ELBOW TEST:

PT position : Anterior to the patient
Test : The elbow to be assessed is kept in extension, examiner stabilises the elbow with one hand, patient is instructed to flex the wrist while examiner resists the movement with the other hand
Sign/Interpretation : Pain at the medial epicondyle suggests medial epicondylitis ( or commonly termed as golfer's elbow).

Wed Apr 06 2011, 07:46am
Robin

Registered Member #4

ELBOW FLEXION TEST:

PT position : Facing the patient
Test : Patient is asked to fully flex the elbow and slightly flex the wrist and hold it for 5 minutes
Sign/ Interpretation : Tingling and paraesthesis in the small, ring finger and half of middle finger(Ulnar nerve area) indicating cubital tunnel syndrome

Thu Apr 07 2011, 07:19pm
Robin

Registered Member #4

PINCH GRIP TEST:

Patient position : Sitting or standing
Test : Patient is instructed to pinch the tips of the index and thumb together of the affected side
Sign/Interpretation : Instead of tip to tip pinching, if the patient has an abnormal pulp to pulp pinch it indicates pathology of anterior interosseous nerve (branch of median nerve)

Fri Apr 08 2011, 08:34am
Robin

Registered Member #4

TINEL TEST:

PT position : At the side of the elbow to be assessed
Test : Examiner holds the patient's arm proximal to wrist with one hand while taps the groove between olecrenon process and medial epicondyle with a reflex hammer
Sign/Interpretation : Tingling sensation or paraesthesia in the last two and half fingers indicates ulnar nerve compression.

Sun Apr 10 2011, 10:25am
Robin

Registered Member #4

PRONATOR TERES SYNDROME TEST:

Test : Examiner flexes the patient's elbow to 90 degree and supinates the forearm and stabilizes the forearm proximally. Patient is then instructed to pronate the forearm and extend the elbow while the examiner resists the forearm pronation.
Sign/Interpretation : Tingling or paraesthesia in the median nerve distribution area of forearm and hand indicates pronator teres syndrome.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF