Welcome

Username:

Password:

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]

Chatbox

You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

physicaltherapy: 05 Feb : 06:54 pm

Is there anyone who has gone through CWT6 or type 1 evaluation with FCCPT?
If so, kindly let me know from where can the following deficiencies be fulfilled?
1. History
2. Systems Review
3. Findings that warrant referral
4. Supervision of support staff
5. Documentation

nani: 28 Sep : 04:31 am

plz pleasec tell me where to do phd in india

Nikhilphysio: 02 Jun : 03:55 am

I am working as physiotherapist in Shalby hospital ahmedabad for 4 years. I have passed out from Rajiv gandhi university of health and sciences Bangalore. I want to apply for Newzealand physiotherapy board registration so anyone there from India who got registered as physiotherapist in new zealand please help me.

Arun: 10 May : 12:36 am

Hi Priyank, welcome. Feel free to go through these forum threads returned by search [link]

Priyank: 09 May : 10:28 pm

Hi..need advice. What are the options in Australia after MPT?

Forums

Moderators: Arun, Boopathi, Robin, baskar, AJIN, MDK-Physio
Author Post
Sat Apr 14 2007, 04:00am
amita
Registered Member #1459
hi i need details of craniosacral therapy.can any 1 help me?

Sat Apr 14 2007, 10:12am
Robin
Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Registered Member #4

developed by one mr. william sutherland and explained using the reciprocal tension membrane system (RTM) abut the movements of cranial bones and the membranes to prove that these movements can be made by small movemtn manually of the cranial and spinal bones to facilitate the cerebrospinal fluid circulation. and he says that the RTM causes the duramatter to move the sacrum along with any movemnt in the cranial bones . he also developed some spiritual bonding along with his treatemtns options.
and this feild developed later as..(..qouted from wikepedia [link] ) 'Upledger developed his own treatment style, and when he started to teach his work to a group of students who were not osteopaths he generated the term 'CranioSacral therapy', based on the corresponding movement between cranium and sacrum. Craniosacral therapists often (although not exclusively) work more directly with the emotional and psychological aspects of the patient than osteopaths working in the cranial field. ' u can find more from original website too [link]
check this link too [link]
i dont know if someone here is aware or is following the same good enough to comment on it's practical usefulness or results.

Sun Apr 15 2007, 03:48am
Arun
May I help you?

Registered Member #1

From what I understand it is a holistic treatment approach and is very gentle suited for bor baies and very fragile patients with painful conditions. Think it could also be a great relaxation technique, haven't read enough on it so pardon me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the links Robin hope amita finds them useful.

Tue Apr 17 2007, 09:16am
Boopathi
Admin

Registered Member #2

i would like to paste an article i came through long time back, hope it helps many.

Craniosacral Therapy Is Not Medicine

Although the prescientific thinking emblematic of most "alternative" health care may lead infrequently to fortuitous insights, many of these techniques have been tested, have failed, and should be abandoned.
For example, we have observed in our laboratory and described in Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine one of the manipulation procedures (craniosacral therapy/cranial osteopathy) used by many physical therapists, occupational therapists, osteopathic physicians, and others.

Based on our observations, we have drawn several conclusions.
We believe that Sutherland's Primary Respiratory Mechanism is invalid. "Cranial" rhythms cannot be generated through organic motility of brains because neurons and glial cells lack the dense arrays of actin and myosin filaments required to produce such movement. Other hypotheses regarding genesis of this rhythm (eg, Upledger's "pressurestat" model) remain purely speculative. Movement between the sphenoid and occipital bones at their bases is impossible past late adolescence because, by then, they have become one very robust bone.

Movement among components of the cranial vault also is impossible in most adults because coronal and sagittal sutures usually have begun to ossify by age 25 to 30 years and the lambdoidal suture only slightly later.
Interexaminer reliability is approximately zero, many published coefficients have been negative, and the most parsimonious explanation for data collected thus far is that practitioners are imagining the cranial rhythm.

Finally, even if purported cranial and intracranial movements are real, are being propagated to the scalp, and are being assessed accurately by practitioners, there is no reason to believe that parameters of such movements should be related to health and no scientific evidence that they can be manipulated to a patient's health advantage

Similarly, in 1997, the authors of a report prepared for The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia concluded that "no plausible functional background and no empirical evidence of effectiveness of craniosacral therapy could be discerned from the materials reviewed." In 1998, the National Council Against Health Fraud concluded that "cranial osteopathy is more a belief system than a science." In 1999, independent reviewers "found insufficient evidence to support" or "recommend craniosacral therapy to patients, practitioners or third-party payers for any clinical condition."
We are aware of no scientific research supporting the clinical value of these techniques.

We should not teach our students that health-related restrictions and imbalances in cranial and intracranial movements can be manipulated to a patient's health advantage, because there is no evidence supporting such claims. We are still deliberating these issues only because craniosacral therapy/ cranial osteopathy is a belief system—not medicine—and as such has been impervious to disconfirmation for most of a century. 

We are not characterizing craniosacral therapy as just another approach to health care about which knowledge is incomplete. To the contrary, we believe that craniosacral therapy bears approximately the same relationship to real medicine that astrology bears to astronomy. That is, this approach to "health care" is medical fiction, and it is not appropriate to teach fiction as part of medical or allied health curricula.

We intend no disrespect for practitioners who may feel that their professional identities are challenged by our views. However, until researchers have replicated demonstrations of efficacy—using properly controlled scientific trials—we believe that craniosacral therapy/cranial osteopathy should be removed from all medical and allied health curricula.

Steve E Hartman, PhD
Professor
Department of Anatomy
College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of New England
Biddeford, ME 04005
([email protected] )

James M Norton, PhD
Professor
Department of Physiology
College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of New England

[ Edited Tue Apr 17 2007, 09:29am ]

Tue Apr 17 2007, 09:27am
Robin
Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Registered Member #4

many of these alternative medicines lacked any factful theories behind tthem...and i couldnt digest this respiratory mechanism he was describing abut when i was going thu those sites ..and the psycho energy levels to which he was sayin abut. the only part whivch made some sense was the membrane tension system..though it too seems to be a bit vague despite those studies they have listed proving their efficiency ! maybe as our site qoutes..' no one care abt our science, but only our ability t cure him '...is that matters !

Mon Oct 01 2012, 02:26am
justin kemp
Registered Member #3769

Craniosacral therapy is an alternative medicine therapy which is beneficial for treating childhood disorders, chronic pain and other diseases. It is a cost effective treatment which provides benefit to every age’s patient.

Craniosacral therapy’s benefits:-

1. It helps in increased sense of relaxation.
2. It helps in improvement of psychological issues.
3. It reduces effects of past trauma.
4. It helps in treating cancer and various other diseases.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF