Moderators: Arun, Boopathi, Robin, Diana, AJIN, MDK-Physio
Author Post
Thiru
Fri Jan 08 2010, 07:31AM
Registered Member #2004
Hi Friends,

I did both my under graduation and post graduation in Physiotherapy in India (the tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University). I applied for New York credential verification process through FCCPT (since NY does not require any general credits) and now preparing for NPTE. Now I have a great difficulty with the visa screen certificate. FCCPT requires 60 general credits for the certificate. I heard CGFNS does not require any general credits and does require a master's degree which I do have, but also i heard CGFNS did ask for general credits when some people applied for it. Kindly help me with this situation. Is it possible for me to get visa screen certificate without general credits. 

Sponsored Links

Robin
Fri Jan 08 2010, 11:15AM
Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.

Registered Member #4

Welcome Thiru. I'm afraid that u have misunderstood the whole cred evaluation process. It is the state PT boards who decide what all and which all credits one requires to apply for a license in that particular state, and not the credential evaluation agencies; the cred evaluation agencies only evaluate u'r credits based on the state education/job eligibility rules and say whether u r eligible or require more credits to comply with the state regulations. And also all State boards require some amount of general credits be completed by PT's. It is that the NY board required less general credits compared to other state boards and not that the NY board needs no general credits at all. Applyin thru diferent evaluating agencies doesnt make any difference in the number of credits required by the state boards, so i find no use in switching between fccpt or an icdel .

The NY and Michigan board only needed 40 odd general before and the Michigan board raised it to 60 few months back and i'm not aware if the NY board too have gone the same way. So better contact the particular board and know how much one needs to get thru with a successful evaluation.

If u r in India, then u can use the IGNOU to complete few credits before applyin or else u can use online courses or the CLEP program to get those needed credits.

Or is it that i have misunderstood U. Have u got a successful cred evaluation thru FCCPT for the newyork board? And is it that u havent have the visa screen certificate done thru? I think some time back the Federal govt has raised the minimum requirements for a visa screen certificate. If u have done a 3 1/2 yr course in BPT then i guess it could be the problem, they need a 4 yr course now i feel as the minimum requirement.

[ Edited Fri Mar 19 2010, 09:32AM ]

Thiru
Fri Jan 08 2010, 06:33PM
Registered Member #2004

Hi Robin,

Thank u so much for ur quick response. I did understand about the process now. I have not yet got the report from NY board, expecting by the end of this month. My physiotherapy program is 4-1/2 yrs with 2 yrs master's. My question now is if i got my credits approved by New York board, then what should I do for the visa screen certificate without anymore general credits?

Robin
Sat Jan 09 2010, 10:55AM

Registered Member #4

I'm not sure about it Thiru. But what i know about the rules they apply is that the credential evaluation is based loosely on state laws and rules, while the Visa screening is based on Federal laws and rules. I'm not sure how one can bypass them.
I'm still not sure wether the Visa screen agencies look for number of credits or for the years of education.Because they had been sayin to the 3 1/2 years BPT degree holder to take up masters inorder to get thru with the process. By that they could be looking for more credit hours or more years, which i'm not sure. Credit hours it should be most probably. One good way to know more wil be to contact the agency itself.

Thiru
Sat Jan 09 2010, 07:09PM
Registered Member #2004

Thanks Robin,

I did contact the agencies and asked regarding this in so many ways. all the time they replied the same as check with their website. Anyway I think it is wise to do the general credit requirements b'coz even though we enter US without these now, the rules may change from time to time. so it is safe to have the credits in hand. I came to know about the International Bridging Program in India which gives altogether 74 credits and costs 3500 dollars. they say that it is recognized by FCCPT and ICD. Has anyone undergone this program and get their credits cleared? if u do have any idea about this program, kindly let me know b'coz the registration for this program is going to be closed on Jan 21.

Robin
Sat Jan 09 2010, 07:30PM

Registered Member #4

That's the best idea, Thiru. Complete the credit requirements, it not only helps u get thru with the visa screen process, it also opens up more states in the US for u'r job hunt.
Yeah there is that bridgin course in India too, but maybe u should ask u'rself wether u need so much of those credits and spend that much for it when u have another alternative. There had been few other forum discussions on the credit courses on the site, go thru it Thiru. IGNOU too have the courses, do calculate how much credits u require, how much fast u can complete and how u may have to spend for it and choose the best possible option for u. General credit courses wont help u much rather than adding the credits, so u may not want to chose the best college or institution and spend too much for it. Look at how early u can get those requirements from these institutions.

Thiru
Sat Jan 09 2010, 08:15PM
Registered Member #2004

again handful of thanks to you Robin. I do find in the forum about the "Associate Studentship" through IGNOU. did u mean that? Is FCCPT accepting their credits? and what courses would u suggest to get the maximum number of credits through IGNOU, I hope you would know about the Indian education system and what we lack in. I know I am asking too many questions to you. Kindly bear with me and help me through this. I really really appreciate your help in my career.

Robin
Mon Jan 11 2010, 08:46AM

Registered Member #4

Thnks Thiru, but then that is what this site is meant to be for..helpin one another by sharing information.
But I'm sorry, Thiru..u'll have to wait for someone who have had a lack in general credits after evaluation to respond to that query of u'rs. I have a vague memory of someone sayin that Indians most usually take up courses in maths/ geography or something like that..but then u need to pardon my memory if it is not true.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF